The fort is located on the Tiracol River in Pernem taluka.
This fort was constructed by Khem Sawant, chieftain of Sawantwadi and feudatory of Adilshah of Bijapur. Formerly, it was part of an enclave of Oosup, controlled by Oosupkar Desai of the Sawantwadi princely state. Khem Sawant, who was the son of Phond Sawant, secured the domains of Sawantwadi and declared independence from Adilshah, in 1627.
Inside this fort, there is a medium-sized church, dedicated to St.Anthony. It was initially built by Marques de Alorna, who captured this fort, on 23rd November 1746, from the Bhonsles of Sawantwadi and named the fort as the ‘Holy Trinity Fortress of Tiracol’. It was later raised to the status of a Mission church from 1822 to 1846, since it was used by the Portuguese to profess their faith in the domains of the Sawantwadi royalty, after seeking their permission. After this period, it was reduced to a chapel, and made filial to the parish of Arambol. This chapel, inside the fort, was rebuilt, in 1901 and was enlarged in 1922.
Today the fort has been converted into a luxurious boutique hotel and is open to the public every day from 9.00 am to 7.00 pm.