The Corjuem fort is located in Corjuem and it lies across the Mapusa river from the village of Aldona.
Corjuem fort was built in 1550 and was originally the property of the Bhonsle rulers of Sawantwadi. Under the tenure of Viceroy Caetano de Mello e Castro, the fort was annexed to the Portuguese administration of Goa. The colonists rebuilt the fort in 1705 to boost their defenses of Panaji, which had by then become the capital city. The fort had great strategic importance, During the 18th century, it held off Maratha invasions by Rane Rajput and the Bhonsles. In the early 1800’s the fort was used as a military school. It was armed with a small battalion of four guns and it defended the town of Corjuem.
At each corner of the fort there is a ramp-like stair which can be mounted so that one can walk around the ramparts. There is also a well, living quarters for the defenders and a chapel dedicated to St. Anthony.
The fort is open to the public every day of the week from 6.00 am to 7.00 pm.