St. John the Baptist Church, Benaulim, Goa is called ‘Sao Joao Baptista Igreja em Benaulim, Goa’ in Portuguese. The St.John the Baptist Church, Benaulim was originally founded by the Jesuits in Colva in 1581; but due to marshy conditions of the place, the church was transferred to Monte Hill of Benaulim in 1596. The St.John the Baptist Church, Benaulim served the villages of Benaulim, Colva and Seraulim. Soon after 1596, the present St.John the Baptist Church, Benaulim was built in the ward that was later called ‘Povoacao’. The feast of their patron saint St. John the Baptist is celebrated with great pomp on 24th of June every year.
St. John The Baptist, Benaulim