The St. Cajetan church is considered as the most exquisite church of Goa. The church was built by Italian friars of the Order of Theatines, in 1665. It was named after the founder of Theatine order St. Cajetan.
It is crowned with a huge hemispherical dome, depicting the same pattern that of the Basilica of St. Peter in Rome.
The façade exhibits superb examples of Corinthian architecture. Four statues of St. Paul, St. Peter, St. John the evangelist and St. Matthew shaped out of basalt are displayed.
The interior of this church which is also Corinthian shows Baroque, Rococo and Goan influences in the intricately carved and gilded work.Beneath the dome there is a 22 meters deep well devised by Fr. Francisco Manco, the architect, in order to provide an outlet for the waters oozing out of the subsoil, which had caused the walls to collapse twice.
The main altar of the church is dedicated to Our Lady of Divine Providence.
Within the compound of the church there is an ancient arch with pillars covered in Hindu carvings. These are believed to be the only remaining part of the Palace of Adil Shah, the Sultan of Bijapur.
Now the church is used as a catechetical, liturgical centre and also as a formation centre for the newly ordained priests.