The church was constructed in 1602 by Augustinian friars who had arrived in Old Goa in 1587 and was abandoned in 1835.

As Old Goa emptied due to a continual series of deadly epidemics, the church fell into neglect and the vault collapsed in 1842. All that’s left today of the Church of St Augustine is the high tower, which served as a bell tower and formed part of the church’s facade.

The tower’s huge bell was moved in 1871 to the Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in Panaji.